Teens who died in tragic escape room fire remembered as close friends
The group of five teenage girls who died in a fire at an “escape room” attraction in Poland were remembered as close friends Sunday, according to local reports.
Hundreds of people gathered in the town of Koszalin Sunday for a formal “day of mourning” in honor of the teens who died of smoke inhalation during a birthday party Friday.
Four of the five 15-year-olds were named in local media and on social media as Karolina Barabas, Gosia Tymieniecka, Wiktoria Pietras and Amelia Wieczorek, according to the Daily Mail.
The fifth teen, named only as Julia, is believed to have been the birthday girl, according to local outlet Fakt 24.
The group posed and tagged each other in multiple pictures on Facebook and were reportedly in the same ninth-grade class.
The teens were inside an “escape room” at a private house in Koszalin when prosecutors say a gas container inside a heater started leaking, sparking the blaze.
The teens, who had no emergency evacuation route, died of carbon monoxide inhalation.
Crowds gathered for a mass at Koszalin Cathedral, where Bishop Edward Dajczak paid tribute to the girls.
A young man employed at the “escape room” was hospitalized with burns. The 28-year-old who designed and runs the attraction has been detained.
Players in escape room games are locked inside a room or building and must solve puzzles and unlock clues to get out. The games are very popular among Polish teens.
Since Friday, authorities ran checks on more than 200 of Poland’s 1,100 escape rooms, shutting down 13 of them.